All research conducted at Joseph Brant Hospital (JBH) must be approved by the hospital's Research Ethics Committee (REC). In some situations, Medical Advisory Committee (MAC) approval may also be required. Please note that JBH can only provide secondary site research approval. To receive approval by JBH, all research must be approved by an external site Research Ethics Board (REB) first. Documentation of that external approval is required as part of all REC applications.
The approval process includes:
- Completing and submitting two signed originals of the JBH "Application for Research Approval" form, including all required original signatures (an electronic copy of the form is available upon request from our Research Department).
- Applications must include: approval from all external site REBs, a copy of the study protocol, investigator's brochure, budget, patient or research subject information and consent forms. You are asked to provide two original submission packages. Your application will be assessed at the time of submission to confirm eligibility for expedited REC review. If a full review by the REC is required, the need for additional copies of your submission package for members of the REC may be required. If additional copies are required, you will be contacted to do so.
- Attending the REC meeting at which the study will be reviewed, if requested to do so.
- All documents must be submitted in original forms, with original signatures (no electronic copies).
About the Process:
- All documentation in connection with applications for research ethics approval must be received as follows (please note we are unable to make exceptions to these rules):
- Initial Application – Minimum 90 days prior to the start of the study
- Annual Renewal Application – 90 days prior to the annual expiry date. Note: A late fee of $250 will be charged for re-approvals that are not received by JBH 90 days in advance of the expiry date of the study.
- The current fee schedule for REC review of initial applications at JBH is as follows:
- Initial Application Fee - Industry Sponsored Studies $3,000
- Initial Application Fee - Non-Industry Sponsored Studies $500
- In accordance with the 2nd edition of Tri-Council Policy Statement: Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans (TCPS 2), JBH may provide expedited review and approval of research studies which meet the TCPS 2 definition of "minimal risk." The decision about whether a given study qualifies for expedited review rests with the hospital.
For more information please contact our Research Department.